MME is a dictator node. Even though it exist only in the core network. It’s responsibilities are pretty diverse. It has core network control functionality.
- The control plane protocols terminate at the MME.
- It also manages the mobility contexts (Either in Idle or connected mode) of the UEs
- Same MME remains in control of a UE as long as the UE move within an MME pool area.
The simple answer for MME functionalities can be summed up in two words.
- Mobility Management
- Session Management
The main functions are management functions.
MME is responsible for:
- UE attach/ Detach handling
- Security – Authentication, Authorization and Accounting
- EPS Bearer Handling
- Mobility Anchor- IP Point of Presence
- Mobility Management for Idle Mode UEs