The following physical channels and physical signals are defined in LTE:
- Physical Downlink Shared Channel (PDSCH) and Physical Uplink Shared Channel (PUSCH), used for transmission of the DL-SCH and UL-SCH transport channels, respectively.
- Physical Control Format Indicator Channel (PCFICH), Physical Downlink Control Channel (PDCCH) and Physical Hybrid ARQ Indicator Channel (PHICH), used for downlink L1/L2 control signalling.
- Physical Broadcast Channel (PBCH), used for transmission of the Broadcast channel (BCH) transport channel.
- Physical Multicast Channel (PMCH), used for transmission of the Multicast channel (MCH) transport channel.
- Physical Random Access Channel (PRACH), used for uplink transmission of the random access preamble as given by the RACH transport channel.
-Reference signals are to support coherent demodulation in uplink and downlink and uplink channel sounding.
-Synchronization signals are defined in the downlink only and used in the cell search procedure.