The nodes available in 4G are shown below.
To keep things simple and easy to understand, remember the relationship shown below.
- LTE = E-UTRAN = RAN side of 4G = All these terminologies refer to RAN side.
- SAE = EPC = Core Network (Packet Network ) = All these terminologies refer to core network
- RAN = Radio Access Network
- E-UTRAN = Evolved- Universal Terrestrial Radio Access Network
- LTE = Long Term Evolution
- SAE = System Architecture Evolved
- EPC = Evolved Packet Core
- MME = Mobility Management Entity
- SGW = Serving Gateway
- PGW = Packet Data Network Gateway
- CN = Core Network